Getting Your Business Started

Obtaining a business license and setting up your state tax requirements.

Whether you’ve decided to start your business with a business plan or chosen more of the ‘launch and learn’ approach, the one thing you must do when opening up shop is make sure you are in compliance with your local and state business requirement.

As a military spouse, this typically means getting a new business license in each state and adjusting your company’s sales/use, unemployment, etc. taxes.

The federal government provides a website, a one stop shop that will direct you to each state’s Department of Revenue and/or Department of State, typically the regulatory bodies overseeing new and transferring businesses.

Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) –,,id=96739,00.html